by Avnie Garg, Freelance Contributor
Self-image is the way you perceive yourself. It is independent of what people think about you. A positive self-image is a pre-requisite to a successful life. Practice the following ways to view yourself in a positive light:-
- Discover your inner strengths
Inner strengths consist of will power, concentration level, self- discipline, peace of mind, mental resilience. Try exploring them by indulging in challenging activities, practicing mindfulness, doing unusual tasks or deviating from the routine. Once you acquaint yourself with your inner strengths, you’ll experience a positive self-image which will bolster your confidence.
- Accept yourself
You need to accept yourself the way you are. As a human you, like everyone else, have a set of both strengths and weaknesses. You may have succeeded in some situations and failed in others. Realize that all these situations in life eventually made you a better person. So shun the need to be like others and accept yourself in every way
3. Visualize yourself victorious –
Stand in front of the mirror and imagine yourself emerging as a champion in a specific activity you are going to take part in or generally in life. These positive visualizations will enhance your positive self-image as you will ultimately find these visualizations take the shape of reality.
- Pamper yourself
Accept it or not, you experience a sense of inflated self-image when you dress up nicely. So pamper yourself with good clothes, nice hair style and the accessories you like because just thinking that you look good gives a necessary boost to your self-image.
- Do what interests you
find some time to do the things that interest you. If you were good at something but did not pursue it then, then go for it now. Indulging in the activities that you like makes you feel happy and worthwhile. You are never too busy to find time for your hobbies. You are never too old to follow your passion.
6. Avoid taking blame for others’ faults –
Do not be a scapegoat i.e. do not take responsibility for the wrong doings of others. It can cause negative emotions such as fear, anxiety, grief, insecurity etc. Expose the abuser if you are being made an easy target by someone covertly. Thus to avoid personal costs do not fall into the trap of scapegoating.
7. Make affirmations
Practice daily affirmations like “I am blessed”, “I am strong”, “I have a balanced life”, “I am a beautiful creation of God”. Such affirmations have proved to be life changing for people. They are one of the best ways to develop a positive self-image .You may repeat them several times a day from the moment you wake up to the time you go to sleep.
8. Care for your body –
Go for a walk. Exercise daily. Get the required hours of sleep. Follow a healthy (but not boring) diet. Caring for your body will keep you happy and you will picture yourself as a fit and healthy person. This creates a positive self-image that will last longer than you think.
9. Stop comparing yourself to others
– You are unique and separate entity in this world. Your accomplishments and failures are independent of those of others. There will always be someone better than you. You will always be better than some people. Your competition is with yourself and not with others. So focus on being a better version of yourself and not a reflection of others.
10. Pat yourself on the back
– Congratulate yourself for small achievements like completing an assignment on time or planning a birthday party perfectly. Celebrate the small stuff to increase your level of confidence. Let happiness flow in your life.
11. Bring out the benevolent in you
– Help others whenever you can without expecting anything in return. You have a kind and compassionate heart and you can empathize with people easily. Indulging in humanitarian tasks will give you a healthy self-image and you will like yourself more as you see yourself putting a smile on someone else’s face.
12. Indulge in self- praise
– There may be some instances in your life where you failed and couldn’t accomplish what you wanted to. Refrain from criticizing yourself for the failure and praise yourself for all the accomplishments, however big or small. List the things you like in yourself. Read and re-read them. Treat yourself kindly.
Avnie Garg is a student of Panjab University and has worked as a
journalist and website content writer. She has completed a bachelor’s
degree with honors in Psychology. Due to her deep understanding of
the subject, she was chosen as the President of Psychology Society
‘Manojigyasa’ in her college. She recognizes the importance of
psychology in building relationships, communicating effectively,
developing confidence and puts psychological principles to use in
everyday life. She likes to spend some part of her day in meditation and
firmly believes in the power of positive affirmations.